NEW BLOG/WEBSITE :)

PLEASE CHECK OUT BLOG UPDATES
ON my website schumacherart.com

Monday, April 11, 2011

Exciting New Things- Universal Pants


Wow oh wow, has time flown by! Seeing that the last post was in Nov, it got me thinking, that this winter was spent trying to gather up new opportunities. So the next few posts will be about the fun & exciting things that have been in the works this winter.... 

In March I met with Liz, the owner of Universal Pants. I met her at her studio in Minneapolis (the East side of Lake Nokomis at 3002 E 50th Street 55417) , it was instant admiration!
She is warm & friendly & also has a cockapoo... what's not to love! :) 
She sent me home with a handful of fun textiles to screen print. She will use them to make the garments, a very exciting collaboration. 
 Here is a description of the beautiful clothes from her website

"These pants are special.  Each pair is made from the same bias cut pattern resulting in an impressively correct fit, yet each pair feels and drapes differently depending on the fabric.  A magical symbiosis occurs when a pair of Universal Pants meets the body.  The fibers shift and break-in like a favorite pair of jeans."

Here are a few images from the process:
A finished stack 'o fabric. Liz wanted to see what the printing would look like OVER a printed fabric. I love it & would never have tried it.

Here is the printing in process. After printing, I iron both side of the fabric to make them flat & pretty & also to lock the ink into the fibers. 
 
Here I have matched the fabric to samples in my color file. It gives me a reference while mixing ink.  I will share updates on what happens to these fabrics, after Liz works her magic :) 

No comments: